My Ambition [Illustration by Shinod A.P.]
My Ambition [Illustration by Shinod A.P.]

Rishika Das Roy, who is from Kolkata, seems to be very determined about what she wants to become when she grows up.

Sometimes I wonder what I would like to be when I grow up. I think of a different ambition every year. Since I turned eight, I would wonder what I really wanted to be. Would I be a teacher, a singer, a journalist or no, an astronaut.

This year I am thinking of becoming an ‘Egyptologist’. Everybody, including my parents, thinks I am mad. They say that anything is better than getting buried under the hot sandy deserts of Egypt. I want to become an Egyptologist not to become famous and rich, but mainly because of the adventures I would have and the excitement I would face.

Suppose I unravelled the famous curse of the great king Tuten Khamin, which archaeologists have racked their brains for millions of years to solve? What if I really found a way to enter the pyramid? That would be great! It would be like a dream come true. I would see every pyramid in Egypt and tour the country of my dreams. All the same I would work really hard. I would ask the other historians working with me about the other pyramids which haven’t as yet been discovered. I would get on to the job straight away. I would go to all the chambers in the pyramid, knock on all the panels and walls for an entry to the treasure chamber.

Suppose I found a clue, I would start working on it. I would try and understand the picture writings on the walls of the pyramid. Sometimes mummies give us a lot of information about the lives and times of ancient Egypt. I would keep in mind all the clues and focus on one thing at a time and go through all the clues in stages.

I would never get overloaded or paranoid with work. I would take things easy and when I would see that my brains were not functioning, I would stop work at once. If I would work like this, with no worries in my mind, I would solve everything in no time.

I am really serious about becoming an Egyptologist and during the history period in school, I am transported to the world of the pharaohs and hope to achieve my ambition someday.

402 words | 4 minutes
Readability: Grade 7 (12-13 year old children)
Based on Flesch–Kincaid readability scores

Filed under: your pages
Tags: #egypt, #pyramid, #brains