Numerous events have happened in my life but the one that tops the list of foolish events is the one that happened sometime ago, on a Saturday.

Something Foolish [Illustration by Sudheer Nath]
Something Foolish [Illustration by Sudheer Nath]

As it was a holiday, I was at home. My mother had to buy some articles from the nearby general store. She left after ensuring that I had locked the door properly and said that she would return within 15 minutes.

I went out to the verandah to see her go. She had just stepped out of the building when she gestured to me to bring down the purse that she had left upstairs in her bedroom.

I rushed to my mom’s bedroom, took her purse, pushed the door and ran down the stairs as fast as I could. And that’s how I made that foolish mistake.

Our lock has a self-loading system. When I returned, I rang the doorbell, not remembering that there was no one inside. It was then that I realised that I had locked the door with the keys inside. I waited fro my mother to come back.

She returned after 10 minutes and on knowing what had happened, called for a locksmith. Then she gave me a good scolding for being so irresponsible.

There was more to come. Since the lock was a sophisticated device, the locksmith was unable to open it. As a last decision, mom called a carpenter to cut a hole through the door. It enabled us to open the lock from inside. Finally we were able to get in.

Needless to say, it had been a costly mistake on my part..

273 words | 2 minutes
Readability: Grade 5 (10-11 year old children)
Based on Flesch–Kincaid readability scores

Filed under: your pages
Tags: #locksmith